Mid-Level Software Engineer
Mid-level Software Engineer
Graduate Students Encouraged
- Perform Operations to Research functions of various NOAA modeling enterprise components, and Unified Forecast System (UFS) components to Supercomputer for Satellite Simulations and Data Assimilation Studies (S4) and NOAA Research & Development High Performance Computing System (RDHPCS) as directed, including
- Global, regional and mesoscale atmospheric models such as GFS, H-WRF, RAP/HRRR, and/or model equivalents with FV3 dynamical core,
- Data assimilation applications including the GSI in global/regional/mesoscale frameworks,
- Components of the Unified Forecast System (UFS) as directed, including land, ocean, wave, water, and cryospheric models and related components such as community physics packages or radiative transfer models, etc.
- Pre- and post-processing applications for models and data assimilation,
- Scripts, libraries, and other components required to run cycled data assimilation and forecasts, including ensemble systems,
- Following best-practices for O2R and maintenance in coordination with NOAA/National Center for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) and partners,
- Troubleshoot and track O2R issues (compiling, run time) and feedback corrective action to NOAA/NCEP or code managers as needed.
- Provide user support to NOAA and external research and development and user communities on S4 and NOAA RDHPCS, including
- Ensuring availability and reliability of models and data assimilation systems and required datasets to user and development community,
- Fulfill developer and user requests for new datasets, such as initial conditions data, model analyses or forecasts, or observational data,
- Troubleshoot and track user and developer issues running models and data assimilation and provide solutions,
- Provide support for R2O process including regression or other testing, and software configuration management to merge software updates into master repositories.
- Implement data management practices on S4 and manage data flows required for model and data assimilation experiments, including conventional and satellite data and initial conditions data.
- Work on enhancements which benefit the NCEP production suite or components in development and operational environments, as directed.
- Monitor and report on HPC resource allocation usage.
- Monitor and report on user requests and issues,
- Monitor and report on status of models planned or available on HPC resources,
- Provide support for HPC resource allocation requests to meet funded modeling and data assimilation project HPC needs.
Location: College Park, MD