Place of Performance: Silver Spring, MD
Agency: Dept of Commerce, NOAALine Office: Performance, Risk & Social Science Office (PRSSO)Oceanic and Atmospheric Research (OAR)
Period of Performance: Duration of contract
Minimum Qualifications: Graduate degree in economics, or a related field with a concentration in economics. Minimum of 4 years of substantial and progressive experience researching and developing a wide range of economic analyses, such as cost-benefit, cost effectiveness, valuation of ecosystem services, and value chain approach. Experience which includes the following: conducting research on economic phenomena, analyzing economic data, modeling economic systems, conducting market analyses, compiling databases and preparing interpretive reports. Background related to microeconomics, macroeconomics, behavioral economics and econometrics (or statistical analysis in general) required.
Functional Responsibility: Provide support and develop approaches for conducting economic analyses; assess socio-economic impacts; compile and analyze economic statistics; evaluate economic databases; provide input on high-profile economic data; develop and consult on research plans/projects; develop indicators and performance measures; and report on analyses. Strong quantitative, communication, including verbal and written, organizational and analytical skills required.
- Work with NOAA Chief Economist to advance on strategies to develop a portfolio-wide approach to economic impact and return on investment analyses of the OAR Oceans, Coasts, and Great Lakes Research and Development Portfolio.
- Provide technical expertise for the successful economic analysis of the OAR’s research, products and services.
- Provide technical expertise to assess the feasibility of economic analyses, carry them out and effectively communicate results and uncertainties.
- Create a strategic approach to valuing OAR Oceans, Coasts, and Great Lakes research, products and services within the context of a broader, long-term approach for valuing OAR’s R&D enterprise.
- Provide preliminary assessment to help guide the development of high quality economic impact and return on investment analyses.
- Develop conceptual framework for carrying out economic impact and return on investment analyses for OAR Oceans, Coasts, and Great Lakes research, products, and services – analyses that can be used for reliable, consistent reporting over time and be integrated with analyses for the weather and climate components of OAR’s research enterprise.
- Carry out pilot valuation projects that implement the conceptual framework.
- Develop market research approach to related products and services from applied research developed by the OAR Oceans, Coasts, and Great Lakes Portfolio.
- Draft work plan that includes an overview of the proposed method, uncertainty associated with this method, data requirements, dependencies, estimated costs, timeline, milestone, and final deliverables.
- Coordinate, collaborate and facilitate necessary data collections and preliminary results with the team.
- Prepare reports to NOAA/partners.
- Experience in developing cost-benefit and return on investment analyses.
- Experience with market research approach and strategies.
- Experience in valuing market and non-market resources and services.
- Experience working on interdisciplinary teams. Previous experience leading teams is desired.