Administrative Assistant (NOS)
Place of Performance: NOAA HQ, Silver Spring, MD
Period of Performance: 1-3 years
Salary based on experience.
Minimum Requirements: Bachelor’s Degree in a related field plus two (2) years of relevant experience.
In support of our NOAA National Ocean Service (NOS) client, the candidate must maintain a professional decorum of behavior and acumen. They must be proficient at maintaining schedules/calendars for senior-level government officials. They must have excellent communication skills and be highly motivated, creative and self-initiating. They must be able to adjust their work day to the requirements of the federal leadership, which may mean occasional early arrivals and/or late departures.
Some typical activities which the candidate must be able to perform include:
- Perform administrative work, which includes management of an office’s schedule or day-to-day plans.
- Being the first-line of contact for an NOS office by answering the phones and giving information to callers, taking messages, and transferring calls to appropriate people.
- Greeting visitors and callers in a professional manner, handling their inquiries, and directing them to the appropriate person according to their needs. When necessary, escort visitors to and from the Security Checkpoints.
- Office support activities that require an ability to multi-task and assist multiple people at once.
- Use advanced computer skills to perform word processing, spreadsheet management, and to conduct advanced internet research.
- Arrange and coordinate conferences, meetings and travel reservations for the senior leadership, to include usage of the NOAA E2 Travel System.
- Organize and maintain an accurate filing system.
- Operate electronic mail systems and coordinate the flow of information both internally and with other organizations. Compose, type, and distribute meeting notes, routine correspondence, and reports.
- Review and disseminate memorandums as appropriate.
- Complete forms in accordance with office procedures, mail newsletters, promotional materials, and other information. Make copies of correspondence and other printed material.
- Attach appropriate files to incoming correspondence requiring replies. Open, read, route and distribute incoming mail and other material, and prepare answers to routine letters.
- Conduct searches to find needed information using such sources as the internet.
- Review draft policies, standard operating procedures, memorandums, and other documents drafted by others, to check for spelling and grammar errors, ensuring that office formatting policies are followed.
- Operate office equipment such as fax machines, printers, copiers, phones, etc.
- Serve as secretariat to ongoing organizational meetings, as required.
- Support the Control Correspondence Unit, as needed, with its duties by entering and updating correspondence and agreements in WebDocFlow or latest-version system available, routing correspondence folders to appropriate offices, and maintain correspondence files.
- Collect, compile and edit weekly status reports regarding correspondence and other assignments and submit to NOAA leadership.
- Circulate important office documents via inter/intra-departmental envelopes and email and filing/record keeping.
- Prepare and disseminate, if requested, information and guidance that clarifies administrative practices including correspondence.
- Create and route WebDocFlow folders and actions for Memorandums of Agreements/Understanding (MOA/MOUs) within NOAA and between other Agencies.
- As needed, help maintain, update, and archive inter/intra-agreement database.
- When executing the above activities, the candidate shall review items for completeness and conformance with NOAA and NOS guidance. The candidate shall communicate effectively with NOS staff on the status of items.