Cloud System Architect
Cloud System Architect
The Cloud System Architect will be responsible for designing and developing the cloud architecture to support EPIC, including developing a cloud based High Performance Computing (HPC) Software Program Architecture that easily works on traditional HPC environments.
- Responsible for development of EPIC cloud architecture; to include survey assessment of existing Unified Forecast System (UFS) and development, design and migration to target architecture.
- Responsible for management and oversight of project teams that provide user and infrastructure support, including user community outreach.
- Survey, assess, and provide a report on current UFS-related activities within NOAA utilizing cloud services such as continuous integration (CI), continuous development (CD), data services, debugging, model integration, reforecasts/reanalysis, and retrospectives to avoid duplication of effort and identify gaps.
- Support the implementation of container technology to improve developer productivity, efficiency, and application portability, including guidance of the development of a container version of the UFS.
- Review UFS open source codes to understand and identify potential gaps for cloud HPC performance.
- Develop and maintain infrastructure to help enable culture change toward community development, R2O/O2R, and other approaches such as web presence, innovation hubs, and other social media.
- Participate in the design and implementation meetings for strategic planning, scientific workshops, tutorials, and/or hackathons related to the UFS.
- B.S. degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related discipline with a minimum of 10 years of increasing levels of technical and management responsibility.
- Understanding of UFS and coupled atmospheric and oceanographic numerical models
- Experience with containerization
- Experience with development and implementation of HPC solutions.
- Advanced degrees in Computer Science, Engineering, Atmospheric Numerical Modeling, Cloud Technologies or related fields are highly desired.
- Prior NOAA experience.
- Experience with C++, Docker, Singularity, Charliecloud, Kubernetes.
Physical Qualification(s) Required:
Mental Qualification(s) Required:
- Ability to multitask